Saturday, February 22, 2014

Day 22: First D&D-based novel

My first D&D-based novel was "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" by Weis and Hickman.  I enjoyed it and it was a successful vehicle for enticing me to purchase the Dragonlance modules.
As a sidebar, it has taken me a long time to get over the "Dragonlance effect."  I'm now in recovery and I'm a happy sandbox DM now...
A friend ran into Weis and Hickman at a con and got them to autograph a copy for me.  I still have it --

1986 - wow, that was a long time ago...
Years later, I was interested in Spelljammer and I read the Douglas Niles (?) books.

Then, I was really intrigued by Dark Sun.  I think there was a set of books (the Prism Pentad?) that did a great job of exploring the setting.  I enjoyed them.  

Of course, I read the first set of Drizzt books.  I enjoyed them too.  I don't think I've ever played a "Drizzt" character.  Maybe...

Lastly, I read a series by Simon Hawke.  Must have been 1993 or 94.  I had the chance to go to a workshop on writing.  Simon Hawke was one of the speakers.  He was kind enough to sign my book.


As a "Christmas Bonus," my employer at the time, John Conley (owner of Salsa Brava in Flagstaff, AZ -- FANTASTIC FOOD!) found out about the workshop and bought me a ticket.  It was the most thoughtful thing an employer has ever done for me.  Thanks John!
Important Tip: if you ever have the chance to meet someone like Simon Hawke, take the time to talk with them on a personal level.  At one point during the event, there was a "bio break."  Simon stepped outside to smoke in the snow.  I went with him (I don't smoke.)  We chatted for about 5 minutes.  It was the best part of the day.

No comments: