My two most recent projects are a result of me finding a box of Romex
in my garage. I used it for a home improvement project years ago and have been toting it around. When I saw it, I thought, "What can I make with that?" and I decided on Tarrahook Bats
That project is going well. I have two more under construction. When I get all three made, I'll commence to painting! :)
On Saturday I decided to take a nap and when I did, I had an idea for how I could make some stirges
The ones you can buy from WoTC are expensive! Seriously? Almost $10 for a single 1 HD creature that is going to show up in hordes!!! No thanks!
So here's the plan. I'll make a base with a small group of wires on it --
I bent the wires at a right angle. The wires will be the proboscis of the stirge. I thought that small groups of stirges (in this case 3 per base) would be better than singles because these things are small and attack in packs!
Next I needed to create wings!
I could make them out of putty, but they probably wouldn't be regular in size and shape. I thought that "leaves" would be a good substitute. I found some aquarium foliage that I thought would fit the bill.
Now, admittedly, my stirges are going to have a different aesthetic than the "new stirge."
I do like the "four wings" thing, but my stirges will always be bloated, round things -- kinda like flying ticks --
So, here are my DIY stirges (unpainted.) I'm planning to make a set of 5. Then I'll get down to the painting...
I may try to make them a little smaller, but heck, they look OK as is.