Friday, May 27, 2011

The Twice Twice Stone

Hidden somewhere in the wilderness (or perhaps in a dark corner of a dungeon) is this strange carved stone.  It radiates a strong alteration magic if detected.

Some say that the ancient ones used devices such as this to activate their many mystical concoctions.  Whether that is true, none can tell.  It's use is somewhat limited now.

Any liquid poured onto its topmost basin will trickle down through the lower basins.  The volume of liquid will be quadrupled, but there will be a 10% chance that the efficacy of the potion will be affected in some way.

Pouring liquid into the middle-most basin will cause the volume to simply double.  A 5% chance that the potion will be altered exists.

Pouring the liquid into either of the two lowest basins has no magical effect.

Random Changes to Potions (d6)
  1. the magic of the potion is reversed.
  2. the magic of the potion is canceled.
  3. the magic of the potion is changed into something exceedingly strange (think Wand of Wonder)
  4. the magic of the potion is tweaked in an odd way (potion of flying turns drinker into bird; potion of invulnerability covers drinker with thick iron scales; etc.)
  5. the potion is changed randomly into another type of potion.
  6. the duration of the potion is likewise doubled or quadrupled.

3 comments:

Wymarc said...

Great idea. My only suggestion would be that it can not be moved and any attempt to do so warps or destroys the magic. My first though was how could my character get it back to our bar!

Dennis Laffey said...

I'll definitely be borrowing this for my dungeon. It's just the sort of thing I like to throw in. Useful, and once rumors of it hit the PCs, it's likely to spur them on an adventure or two to locate it.

Jim said...

@Wymarc -- yeah, it needs some limits, but I'll leave those to the individual DM. My players read my blog, so I don't want to give too much away. :)
@Lord Gwydion -- thanks! I thought it was a cool picture so I had to turn it into some kind of magical artifact!