Sunday, February 28, 2010

My Latest Invention

Stat blocks.

If you play any RPG, your PC or NPC or monster probably has a stat block.

When I used to play AD&D all the time, it became second nature to write down (in quick succession), STR, INT, WIS, DEX, CON, CHA.

When I played Champions it was, STR, DEX, CON, BOD, INT, EGO, PRE, COM, PD, ED, SPD, REC, END, STUN (I actually just typed that from memory!) If pressed, I think I can actually remember the multipliers and formulas for each of the stats too! Strange - I don't remember all my Physics equations... hm.

Well, I'm really liking Savage Worlds a lot, but I'm old and lazy now. :)

I went out to Staples and purchased a "make your own self inking stamp kit" and I created a stamp that frames the stat block for any SW PC, NPC or monster.

Originally I was thinking of designing it in Inkscape to send to a custom stamp maker and eventually I may actually do that.

Right now, this is better. I can make minor changes to the stamp as it evolves in use. The little rubber letters are removable and movable. I've already done a little tweaking. Eventually, I'll get around to posting a scan or pic of the stat block as its stamped.

So now all I have to do is get out the stamp, stamp it on an index card, fill out the stat block and presto! Works like a charm!

No comments: