Friday, November 8, 2013

Tomb of Horrors Face WIP

For those of you that don't know the reference -- here's a link

Over on G+ a very talented sculptor (I can't find his post!!) made an absolutely beautiful Green Devil Face.  Once I saw it, I knew I had to add one to my terrain collection!

I'm nowhere near done yet, but I wanted to post.

My first attempt was using Model Magic.  I think it turned out OK - and it is certainly light - but the sponginess of the foam made it a bit hard to mold well.

Here are a couple of pics -- 
I started off with this as a base.  

This is more finalized -- except the paint.  I needed to add an upper lip, eyes, horns and a little ridge detail on his head.  

I decided to try "real clay" -- not that I have ANY EXPERIENCE outside of elementary school with clay -- to make a more detailed face.  

I bought a box of terracotta air-dry clay at Hobby Lobby for $5.18 with their 40% off coupon!  10 pounds of clay!!

Here's the WIP of my "real clay" devil face --
I'm much happier with this one.  There's good detail.  The clay was "formable" and I was able to use tools to make marks and so forth.  

I'll get these painted up and mounted to wall sections and then I'll post again!

1 comment:

Beedo said...

Awesome - looking forward to seeing the finished green devil face.