Saturday, January 4, 2014

Cavern Geomorphs (one set finished)

Previous posts here and here.

So, I abandoned the square cavern geomorphs.  My tests just didn't work out.  Over on the DM's Craft board, a person named @onethatwas suggested hexes.

This idea worked better.  I had a few quality control issues making sure that the hexes were exactly the same size, but they'll work fine.

Here are some pics --

The hexes are double-thick cardboard and the walls are a single layer.  The "door" gap is 2" and the hexes are 10" across.  I spray-painted them black and then I drybrushed the edges with grey.  I also used a sponge to highlight the "walls."  In some spots (you can see it on the tile above) I used the sponge to make slime/mold/fungus on the tiles.  Just for visual interest.

At this scale, they will integrate with my Dwarven Forge Game Tiles, so we'll see how that goes.

3 comments:

1d30 said...

Those are beautiful. Could definitely see myself using that. And you're right that it could work with a square-based system, although if you go from hex to square and back the whole network might have problems matching up exactly.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Telecanter said...

Awesome. I love hexagonal geomorphs and those look great.