Sunday, December 22, 2013

Spells from the Past (4)

Previous posts here, here and here.  I wrote these spells over 24 years ago.  No game balance should be expected.  :)

GRIMWELL'S GRINNING GLOBE

(Enchantment/Charm)

Level 2
Range:  2"
Components:  VSM
Duration:  4 rounds + 1 round/level
Casting Time:  2
Area of Effect:  Special
Save:  Neg.

This spell brings into being a grinning 2' Globe with a ridiculous grin on one side, like a face.

Any creature of 4 HD or less which gazes upon the sphere must save versus spell or stand mesmerized on the spot, staring at the sphere, with an equally stupid grin on its face.

The grin of the Globe is very hard to avoid.  Any creature facing it with its eyes open must save versus spell every round to avoid becoming mesmerized.  The caster can change the facing of the sphere at any time, but should the sphere turn away from a mesmerized creature, that creature regains its senses within one round.


The material component is a fist sized ball of wax with a smile carved on one side.  The component is consumed with the casting.

I was inspired to create this spell, so that my wife could use this funny "laughing face" prop at the game table.  (Yes I still have it!)  The batteries have died, so I don't know if it still works -- but I've taken it apart and I plan to get some batteries...   :)


No comments: