Some say that the ancient ones used devices such as this to activate their many mystical concoctions. Whether that is true, none can tell. It's use is somewhat limited now.
Any liquid poured onto its topmost basin will trickle down through the lower basins. The volume of liquid will be quadrupled, but there will be a 10% chance that the efficacy of the potion will be affected in some way.
Pouring liquid into the middle-most basin will cause the volume to simply double. A 5% chance that the potion will be altered exists.
Pouring the liquid into either of the two lowest basins has no magical effect.
Random Changes to Potions (d6)
- the magic of the potion is reversed.
- the magic of the potion is canceled.
- the magic of the potion is changed into something exceedingly strange (think Wand of Wonder)
- the magic of the potion is tweaked in an odd way (potion of flying turns drinker into bird; potion of invulnerability covers drinker with thick iron scales; etc.)
- the potion is changed randomly into another type of potion.
- the duration of the potion is likewise doubled or quadrupled.