Monday, June 16, 2014

DIY Rust Monsters

Months ago, I posted about the value of rust monsters.  I don't have any, so I decided I'd make some.  :)

I started with 5 ankylosaurus toys.  They were $0.59 each.



Using a hand drill, I made some holes in their shoulders.  I know that "real" rust monsters have feelers on their faces.  I didn't want to ruin the faces, so I went with more of a "displacer beast" mode, where the feelers are tentacles growing out of the shoulders.



I used 2-part epoxy to hold the copper wire in.  Then I used epoxy putty to make their tail.  I also wanted each one to look differently, so I added some embellishments to their armor.

I made loops on the ends of their feelers/tentacles and formed some putty around them.


When they are dry, I spray painted them black then dry brushed them with rusty orange.  Yellow highlights finished them off.


This guy isn't going to have armor and weapons for very long...

6 comments:

Desert Scribe said...

Very clever! And they ended up looking very good.

Springinsfeld said...

Brilliant conversions, I love them (especially as they are so cheap).

Jim said...

@Desert Scribe -- Thanks!
@Springinsfeld -- Thanks! I tried to make them all unique.

Brutorz Bill said...

They look great!

Charles Akins said...

I thought this was a great post so I added a link to it in my Best Reads of the Week! series. I hope you don't mind!

http://dyverscampaign.blogspot.com/2014/06/best-reads-of-week-expanded-edition.html

Chris C. said...

Really great conversion!