At that time, a poster named "email@example.com" made a few suggestions and they got me thinking. This new deck of cards is the result of that post.
Here are the cards:
They print four per Letter page, so they are a bit bigger than standard cards. Some of the graphics got a little pixelated during the pdf render -- I'm sorry -- I can't figure out why that happens. :(
Here's what all the areas are for:
- Random names -- as I said before, I know they are funky, but you can use them to give you ideas for NPC names and such.
- Last names -- I've always been fond of the "compound word" last name. There are many on these cards.
- A place, An archetype and an NPC characteristic.
- A sound and a smell
- A geomorph. Special thanks to RisusMonkey for giving me permission to use his geomorphs. I also used a few from Dyson Logos. He hasn't given me explicit permission (yet -- I sent him a note). If he objects, I'll take this deck down and re-tool it.
- A trap/trick and a "combat tactic" for NPCs or monsters to use.
- A magic item. Here's a neat trick -- draw three cards and combine the three parts -- or use the item as written.
- An "atmospheric suggestion" to add to your descriptions of places and events
- My adaption of Moldvay's "Monster Reactions" table (B24)
- Three pictures, so there's 3000 more words...
- A plot suggestion and a plot twist
- A magic spell or effect -- draw more cards to mix and match!
- The card number in case you want to note what card has what info... There are 81 different cards. You may want to only print the first 80, cuz that last one is on a page all alone. (There are 81 because I use a version of this deck for FUDGE and that's the correct number for 4dF probabilities.)